Mille crepe cake is basically just stacked crepes with cream in between. Here, i’m using just basic crepe recipe that is not cook until crispy but somewhere in between when they start to brown but not crisp yet, i’m using pastry cream with oreo bits on it, and homemade dulche de luche. Yumm.
I made this cake for my best friend’s birthday. She specially ask for an oreo flavored cake but she said it just a day before her birthday. After thinking about what to make in such short time and insufficient ingredient, i decided i should just make a mille crepe cake. It’s easy and quite simple. And you don’t need any great piping or frosting technique (which i’m really bad at) to make this cake.
So let’s get started!
I’m making the dulche de luche the night before because it takes quite some time for the milk to caramelize. The ingredient is just condense milk.
Make two holes on the milk tin, then put the can over boiling water. Boil for about 4-5 hour adding more water when the water evaporates.
My dulche de luche
Pastry cream ingredient:
Heat the milk with half of the sugar and salt.
this part is optional, i just separate a couple of oreo from the cream and the biscuit to put in the middle of the cake later (so there won’t be too much hump from the oreo when i layer the cake) but if you don’t wanna do it, it doesn’t make much difference.
if you don’t own a crepe pan, you could just use a usual flat bottomed pan and spread the crepe batter as thinly as you could. Make sure it’s non stick so your crepe won’t tear easily.
The batter should have quite a thick consistency.
Make until you got 20 crepe ( i only use about 15 of it but i made some more just in case it tear when i layer my cake). Let them cool a bit before you start assembling the cake.
Beat the dulche de luche with butter and then refrigerate (i forgot to take a picture of it)
Take out your pastry cream, separate about one spoon full of cream with your spatula and add crush oreo to the pastry cream with the bigger portion then mix with spatula.
Well now, it’s assembling time.
Take out you crepe, dulce de luche buttercream and oreo pastry cream.
First, the crepe of course.
Dulce de Luche recipe
•1 can of condense milk
How to make:
1. Make two holes on top of the can, then take off the label.
2. Fill a saucepan about ¾ way full with water and let it boil.
3. Put your can of condense milk in the water and let it cook for about 3-4 hours adding water each time the water had evaporates.
4. Take it out, open the can and give a little mix, try to close the lid again and let it sit in the water for about another hour.
5. Put in the jar and refrigerate overnight or until cool.
Oreo pastry cream recipe
• 4 cups milk
• 1 cup sugar
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 6 large egg yolks
• ¾ cup cornstarch
• 4 tablespoon unsalted butter (cut into little pieces)
• Vanilla essence or vanilla bean (split lengthwise and scrape the seed)
• 1 package of oreo
How to make:
1. Combine half of the sugar, salt, vanilla bean (if using), and milk in a medium saucepan. Heat them until the milk had just come to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and the remaining of the sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Once the milk had come to a simmer, pour in the milk into the egg mixture slowly while whisking so the eggs won’t curdle. Pour the mixture back into the pan and cook on medium heat whisking constantly until it thickens. It would take about 2 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean if using at this point.
4. While the cream is hot, put your butter (and the oreo cream if you prefer not to just eat it plainly) and whisk until the butter had melt and the mixture cool down a bit.
5. Cover with plastic wrap pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent the cream from forming a skin and refrigerate for about one hour or until cool.
• 3 cups flour
• 6 tablespoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 4 eggs + approximately 2 egg whites (just use the leftover from making the pastry cream)
• 3 cups milk
• ¾ cup water
• 9 tablespoon butter (melted)
How to make:
1. Incorporate the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl with a whisk. Make a well in the middle to put the wet ingredients. Put the eggs + egg whites and milk into the well, mix. Put in the water, mix. Last put in the butter, mix well.
2. Prepare your crepe pan or your non-stick flat bottomed pan. Heat the pan, spread your crepe batter as thinly as your could then let it brown, but not crisp yet. Take it out. Do until you got about 20 crepes or until your batter ran out.
3. Let your crepe cool before assembling
How to make Oreo Mille Crepe Cake
1. Mix 5 tablespoon dulche de luche with 5 tablespoon unsalted butter until creamy.
2. (optional) Separate some oreo cookies with the cream. Separate about a spatula-full of pastry cream for the top of the cake.
3. Add crush oreos to the pastry cream and mix.
4. Put your crepe on your cake board, spread oreo pastry cream over the crepe, do until about the fifth layer, put the dulce de luche buttercream the crepe again. Make some layer lined with oreo cookies that had been separated from the cream (if you did separate it) do all the layer until your pastry cream had all been layered.
5. On the last layer of crepe, put your pastry cream that had no oreo on it and spread it on the top of the crepe, then top it with more crush oreo and drizzle with dulce de luche.
6. Refrigerate for about an hour.