Who doesn’t love a good ice cream? When my mom brought home a tub of rum raisin ice cream, it is most guaranteed that i will eat the whole tub, all by myself, and it all will be gone after maximum of 3 days. But… Unfortunately (and also kind of thankfully) my mom don’t buy those often (or else i’m gonna let my inner pig out). The reason being is that rum raisin is not the kind of flavor i could get easily in the local supermarket and even if i do find it, it cost quite some money.
But my craving days are over! So bottom line, I not only found out that making ice cream is super simple, but i could let go of my inner ice cream maniac anytime!
soak the raisins and rum. You most probably need more rum than there is in the picture (i add more later on).. Like drown it. I’m using cooking rum because i can’t get real rum (i’m not even 17 yet..).
first thing first is to whisk the yolks and sugar together. Whisk until creamy.
Anyway if you’re one of those people who kind of against eating raw egg, you could whisk it on top of a pot of steaming water, making sure that the bowl of your egg did not touch the water. Whisk for about 2-3 minutes then be sure to cool it down again by whisking, until at least the egg is body temperature.
Rum raisin ice cream
• 3 egg yolks
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ¼ cup honey or golden syrup (add more if you have a super sweet tooth)
• 1 tbsp corn syrup
• 200ml heavy cream
• ½ cup raisins (or more if you like)
• 7 tbsp dark rum or cooking rum (you could always use more or less)
• (optional) chocolate chips, nuts, etc (whatever you want)
How to make:
1) Soak the raisin with the rum.
2) Whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar until creamy, then add in the honey and corn syrup.
3) Add in heavy cream and 1 tbsp of rum and whip until it thickens.
2) Pour into a container and put it in the freezer for 3-4 hours stirring every 30 minutes or so.
5) Take the ice cream out and mixed in the soaked raisins and if you use any additional filling, add it now.
6) Put them back in the freezer and leave it until it set.