I love making a themed dessert, and for valentine I came up with this red velvet monkey bread filled with cream cheese and drizzled with cream cheese strawberry yogurt for good measure.
Ow yeah it does sounds awesome. And there’s a secret ingredient on it that will makes this extra fluffy.
Usually, potatoes or sweet potatoes are used in making a fluffy yummy doughnut and I thought, why not make it into a monkey bread?
So boil or roast the sweet potatoes then go ahead and mash them until smooth.
Remember to mashed the sweet potatoes first then weigh it into the exact amount.
Once combined, rub in the butter into the flour.
Next add the mashed sweet potatoes and continue to roughly mix it in.
Make a well then pour in the warm water, food colouring and activated yeast.
Knead the dough until it no longer sticks to the bowl (it might be still a little tacky).
Suuuper simple. Just mix together softened cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract.
Put in the fridge until ready to use.
We got the red velvet bread dough, cream cheese filling, melted butter and the coating sugar.
Oh, also don’t forget to butter your cake pan so you can get it out easily.
And yes you WILL messed up the first ones but you’ll get the hang of it.
The coating sugar is super simple to make too, just mix skimmed milk powder, vanilla powder and icing sugar then add 3 drops of red food colouring. Then just mix everything the best that you could, I found that by rubbing them together is easier. You may get some lumps, just sift them to get rid of it.
Take some coloured sugar then mix it with milk and vanilla powder.
Or just use regular granulated sugar and mix.
I just don’t want the red colour to fade by the white powder.
Oh yea by the way this is why buttering a generous amount of butter on the pan is important, I had a bit of trouble getting my monkey bread out since there are some cream cheese filling poking out.
This one is made from the leftover cheese filling, mix with a bit of strawberry yogurt to balance out the sweetness and a bit of milk to thin it down.
Drizzle drizzle.. Loads and loads of it!
Perfect to share with your love ones.. ❤️
Oh yeah, this one could be my valentine.
And that oozing cream cheese icing…
Red Velvet Monkey Bread with Cream Cheese Yogurt Icing
Makes 30cm bunt pan size monkey bread
Sweet potato bread dough ingredients
• 500 g bread flour
• 75g sugar
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tbsp coco powder
• 7 g bread yeast
• 175 ml warm water (around body temperature)
• 50 g unsalted butter
• 300 g mashed sweet potato
• 1 large egg
• 2 tsp red food colouring
Cream Cheese filling & icing ingredients
• 250 g cream cheese (at room temperature)
• 150 g icing sugar (i)
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 100 g icing sugar (ii)
• 2 tbsp yogurt (I used strawberry flavour)
• 1 tbsp milk
• 50 g butter (melted)
• 50 g milk powder
• 150 g icing sugar
• a pinch of vanilla powder
• 5-7 drops red food colouring OR pink coloured sugar
How To Make
1) Activate the yeast by pouring half of the water into the yeast and add 1 tbsp of sugar into it. Leave it until bubbly.
2) In a large bowl, mix the flour, the rest of the sugar, salt and coco powder until all combined.
3) Rub in the butter just until it has roughly incorporated.
4) Add the mashed sweet potatoes and roughly combine it.
5) Make a well in the middle then pour in the activated yeast, the rest of the warm water and the food colouring. Knead until the dough has come together and becomes soft.
6) Oil the bowl then let the dough proof in it for at least 1 hour in room temperature or 30 minutes in a warm oven (around 70°C).
7) Make the cream cheese filling by whisking together the cream cheese, icing sugar (i) and vanilla extract until smooth. Set aside around ½ a cup of the cream cheese filling for the icing. Put in the fridge for about 30 minutes – 1 hour to harden it a bit.
8) Make the coating sugar by mixing the milk powder, icing sugar and vanilla until combined then add the food colouring and rub the sugar and colouring together until it changes colour, sift any clumps (or leave it, it doesn’t matter).
9) Coat the pan with generous amount of butter.
10) Punch back the dough, take a bit of it, flatten it then put a little dollop of cream cheese in the middle. Pull the sides of the dough to the top then seal it. Dip the ball of dough into melted butter then the coating sugar. Put it into the buttered pan, repeat until the dough has all gone.
11) Bake at a preheated oven at 180°C or 360°F for around 30 – 40 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool slightly before removing it from the pan.
12) Make the cheese icing by mixing the cream cheese filling with icing sugar (ii), yogurt and milk.
13) Once slightly cooled, take it out of the oven then drizzle the top with cream cheese icing.